Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back "Home"

So we're back in Faridabad now.  Delhi was both exhausting and relaxing.  At first I couldn't decide whether going to Delhi had been a good idea or not...when we got back home it was difficult to adjust again.  So Sunday and Monday were kind of difficult.

Having Velma with us in Delhi was definitely not what we expected.  She doesn't have an I.D., which the hotel requires for all overnight guests, so we kind of had to sneak her in.  Which meant that she didn't have a key and had to depend on us the whole time.  She also told us to convince her father to let her bring her cell phone.  She was on it non-stop...she even answered a call at 4 a.m. and proceeded to lay there talking until Katy had to tell her to go out in the hall to talk.  Now we know why her dad doesn't always let her have her phone. But, she is 15, so I guess that is not out of the ordinary.  I don't know how she felt about it all, really.  I think some of it was probably difficult for her because she was so limited.  She did get to go swimming for the first time in her life though! And we tried to teach her to swim, which is difficult with adults.  She made some progress, but was still uneasy without us holding her up.

The power and water seem to be going out more frequently now.  Or at least yesterday they went out a lot.  Which just made it even more difficult to get used to things again.  And when all you want is a shower and there is no water, there isn't a whole lot to do to feel better.

Seeing our brothers was some help though.  I had told them I would look for a Cricket bat for them when we were in New Delhi.  I didn't find one there and was hoping they wouldn't be too upset.  They said we could just go to the little market right down the street and get one though.  I wonder if that is what they had meant originally? Sometimes we get confused with communication.  So we all walked down the road to get it...it was so simple but I just loved walking along with them, holding Mowgli's hand on one side and Ely's hand on the other.  We got a Cricket bat and tennis ball all for 110 Rupees, so about $2.50.  I think that's why we're such good friends, because I can buy their love.  Totally worth it though. Then they of course kept asking us to play Cricket with them.  I told them we were too tired on Sunday, but I said "maybe tomorrow."  They seemed to forget that I said "maybe," and so on Monday they kept asking all day if I would play with them.  I finally had to give in, and went to the park with Ely and Mowgli to play some Cricket.  Despite all of Dustin's attempts, I still have no idea what to do or how to play.  And William wasn't there to help teach me, since the younger boys don't really know much English.  So when it was my turn we decided that I would just try to hit it and Mowgli would do the running for me.  Judging by the amount of laughter that I caused, I don't think I did very well.  They kept saying that I was good, but I don't believe them. 

We are maybe going to go to Jaipur this weekend.  There is just so much to do and see while we're here so we're trying to plan it out as best we can.  Hopefully I'll be able to post more pictures at that time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment